province of Messina, stands at 529m a.s.l. It began life as a lookout
post to guard against attacks from the inland and proudly re-flourished
following destructions by Dionysius’ armies in 392 BC and
by Arab’s in 902. The remnants of a 1500’s castle are
one of its attractions.
worth-visiting places are the Chiesa Madre, dedicated to St. George,
likely built in the course of the 1600’s. It is adorned with
engaging works of art, such as a painting depicting the Virgin of
the Holy Rosary with Dominican and Franciscan Saints and the 1600’s
Eternal Father and Mary Immaculate.
Chiesa Parrocchiale dedicated to San Nicolò di Bari was erected
on the ruins of an ancient religious building, of which it retains
the altar and a walnut carved pulpit. In the sacristy, are a 1500’s
canvas depicting the Enthroned Virgin with the Child between St.
Rock and St. Michael and a 1700’s depicting St. Michael.