is a town of about 1,900 inhabitants in the province of Messina.
It stands at an altitude of 210m, on the slopes of the Scuderi Mount,
in proximity to the Itala river. Grown between the 16th and 17th
centuries, it accomodates several engaging religious buildings.
The Chiesa Madre, dedicated to the Madonna del Piliere was built
in the 16th century. A 1600’s holy water font and a 1300’s
painted Crucifix, inside, are worthy of note.
Chiesa di San Pietro dates from the 11th century and is believed
to have been built by Count Roger on the site where Normans had
defeated the Arabian armies. It is laid out on a basilical plan
with three naves. The crossing is marked with a dome rising from
a square drum. A 1500’s painted Crucifix and a panel depicting
the Enthroned Madonna and Child and two female Saints are especially
1500’s Chiesa della Madonna della Catena completes the tour
of the town.